Yay! I’m excited to reveal the second Lizzie Darden-inspired DIY Halloween costume in this year’s Halloween costume series! (In case you’re not sure what this series is, I’m collaborating with Lizzie to make some awesome, punny costumes based on her designs. Missed the last one? Catch it here!) I’m gonna assume you’ve heard of her, but just in case, here’s her awesome Instagram that you simply have to check out…like, now! I got inspiration from her puns and turned them into Halloween costumes — and I think this one is my FAVORITE! It turned out so good!
But first, as usual, here’s Lizzie’s interpretation of “breakfast of champions!”
DIY Breakfast of Champions Halloween Costume
- 4 foam poster boards
- Hula hoop
- 2 yards golden brown fabric
- Sewing stuffing
- Duck tape
- Xacto knife
- Light tan acrylic paint
- Hot glue + hot glue gun
- Prize ribbons + trophy
- Spray paint in your a desired color (optional)
- Brown and yellow felt
- Tape 2 foam poster boards together using duck tape. Tape both sides. Do the same to the other two poster boards.
- Trace the hula hoop onto the poster boards. (If you don’t have a hula hoop and you don’t want to buy one just to trace, use this method to make a perfect circle.)
- Cut out your circle using the Xacto knife.
- Cut out a piece of golden brown fabric large enough to wrap around the circle.
- Using duck tape, wrap the fabric around the edges of the foam circle. Leave an opening large enough to fit your arm in — this is where you’ll be stuffing the stuffing.
- Stuff small bits of stuffing into the pocket, trying to keep it even and flat. Once you’re done stuffing, close up the opening with a piece or two of duck tape.
- Repeat steps 4-6 with the other foam circle.
- With the light tan acrylic paint, paint criss-cross lines on the surface of the waffle. Let the paint dry.
Repeat this step with the other waffle.
- Draw first then cut out or free-hand cut out a shape that looks like poured syrup and a slice of butter out of the brown and yellow felts respectively.
- Hot glue them to one waffle. Let the glue dry.
- Optional: Head outside or somewhere well ventilated, and spray paint your prize ribbons and trophy. Let them dry completely.
- Arrange the ribbons onto the waffle (the same one with the syrup and butter) and hot glue them on. Let the glue dry.
- To create straps for the costume, first cut a long, thin piece of the same golden brown fabric. Fold it (the hot dog way, hahah!) into thirds, and hot glue the folded pieces down. Let the glue dry.
Now fold the long strap in half (hamburger way), and cut it in half. You will now have two straps of the same length.
- Flip over a waffle. At the top, hot glue one end of a strap. Hot glue one end of the other strap to the top, about 10 inches away from the first strap.
- Repeat step 14 with the loose ends of the straps. Glue them to the top of the other waffle.
- When you’re ready to be the breakfast of champions, slip the waffle costume over your head, and hold your trophy in your hand!
Other Posts You’ll Like: DIY Manicured Lawn Halloween Costume // DIY Witch Finger Hooks