Apparently I went through a stage where I drew a lot of inspiration from Mean Girls. (If you haven’t seen already, here’s what I’m referring to.) What can I say? Pop culture inspires me. (Haha)
You know why I love Mean Girls(okay, why anyone loves Mean Girls)? Cuz it’s funny! (Duh.)
You know what else I find funny? Ironic domestic decorations, like this. The whole cutesie, and kinda innocent old-lady cross stitch mixed with pop culture references – so funny to me! So I decided I wanted to make something like that on my own. And what better to draw upon than from my homegirl, Tina Fey’s classic high school chick flick?
(And the most exciting part about this, is that I thought of this idea, like, over a year ago, and now it’s become a reality! *squeee!*)
- Plain white tea towels OR plain white flour sack towels
- Subscriber freebie: Mean Girls tea towel kit printable
- Iron-on inkjet transfer paper
1. First, sign up to follow my blog by email. (Psst – it’s on the left sidebar under “Follow.”) Complete your subscription, and click on the link in your “thank you” email for the free Mean Girls tea towel kit printable.
2. Using the tea towel kit printable, design your towels, or feel free to copy my designs pictured below.
3. Print off your designs, keeping in mind that images will all be backwards – don’t you worry about that though, love. It’s supposed to be that way.
Note: If you’re planning on using a dark-colored towel, print off the pages with the images facing the right way.
Note: You do not need to have special ink or a fancy printer to print on iron-on transfer paper.
4. Cut out your designs, and trim off any unprinted paper that you don’t want to transfer.
Note: If you’re using a dark-colored towel, cut as close to the words and designs as possible, because the iron-on transfer paper for dark fabrics doesn’t recognize that the white backgrounds are intended to be transparent. In other words, any white will come out of the printer looking white.
5. Follow the directions that came with your iron-on transfer paper, and iron on your designs!
What the Mean Girls tea towel kit includes:
Four cross stitched quotes…
Some super fetch examples to inspire you!